Friday 19 July 2013

Granny Stripe Blanket


Last year I set myself a challenge of learning a few new things. I wanted to learn how to make some good food from scratch, how to use my dslr and I really wanted to learn how to crochet!

I already knew how to knit (badly I admit) so I started there and improved my knitting skills first, I made a few scarves and some baby blankets which I loved doing. Then I started looking around the net for crochet tutorials and came across the most beautiful, inspiring blog - Attic 24
Lucy is amazing and I immediately fell in love with her granny stripe blanket. I ordered the Stylecraft Lucy pack from Deramores and could not wait to get started!

Now admittedly taking on the task of making a huge blanket for my very first crochet project was perhaps a little nuts! However Lucy's instructions were awesome and after a few practice rows I just jumped right in went for it.

The foundation chain was torturous and the next couple of rows were fiddly and slow but I soon got the hang of it. I left out the red colour from the pack (I knew I wanted to do a purple border and it seemed to clash) but used the rest of the colours pretty evenly. 

This is how mine turned out.





It took me five months!! About four for the blanket and one for the edge. I didn't work on it every day, and there were weeks I didn't touch it at all (though only a few) but I was so proud of myself when I finished it. After a wash in the machine it became all soft and drapey and I fell I in love with it even more. 


Right now I'm working on my second blanket, in various shades of blue and a few green. 




I think I might do a dark blue or navy border. What do you think? Or maybe the sage green? I also decided to do varied width stripes just for a bit of variety since there aren't as many colours.




I'm crazy about crochet now and that's partly due to Lucy's great tutorials so I owe a huge thanks to her! If you haven't checked out her fabulous blog yet make sure you do!

Has anyone else made a granny stripe blanket? 
Or any of Lucy's other crochet goodies? 
I'm always on the lookout for new blogs to read 
so if you know of any good crochet/knitting/yarn blogs let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment